The deadline for Fall 2019 admissions has been extended to July 1, 2019. Students applying to San Francisco State University and to the Gerontology Program should be aware of the requirements for admission to the Graduate School of San Francisco State University, the relevant deadlines for admission, Graduate School Admissions policies and Graduate Division forms. Please be aware of the Graduate Division and their requirements as well as general information about graduate education at San Francisco State University.
Students will be expected to meet the following criteria:
- Meet the admissions standards of the University. Have an earned undergraduate grade point average of 3.0.
Apply online through CalState Apply. The Office of Graduate Admissions no longer accepts paper applications to graduate programs. Click here for important information and instructions on using the CalState Apply online application system. Submit the following materials by uploading them to the Cal State Apply online application:
- Two letters of recommendation from faculty and/or employers. These should be from individuals who know the candidate well and can address their potential for succeeding in graduate school. The letters do not have to be from faculty members at an academic institution, they can be from supervisors or others familiar with the candidate's work.
- Your current resume.
- Statement of purpose to the SF State M.A. in Gerontology Program. This statement of purpose should describe the following information in a coherent essay (in no more than four pages, double-spaced):
- Life experiences that have led you to an interest in gerontology
- Background in gerontology, including any work or volunteer experience you might have
- Areas of specific interests in the gerontology, including what has led you to these specific interests
- Career and professional goals and aspiration
- How the M. A. in Gerontology degree will be helpful and consistent with your career goals and aspirations
- Why this is the right time in your career to come into a Gerontology program and seek the degree
- Why the SF State M.A. in Gerontology degree program is a good fit for you and your career / professional goals
Level One Preadmission
Indicate the ability to write in a proficient manner by satisfactorily submitting a written statement of purpose for pursuing the graduate degree in gerontology. Applicants who do not submit a well-written statement of purpose will be advised to enhance their writing proficiency by taking a prerequisite course and then reapply to the program.
Indicate the ability to write in a scholarly manner in the discipline by satisfactorily completing GRN 890 for the culminating experience requirement.