Welcome to the Gerontology Program. And, welcome to the new Gerontology Program website! We appreciate your interest in our program—and the exciting and growing field of Gerontology. The Master of Arts (MA) degree at San Francisco State University is very well positioned to meet the aging population challenges of California, the nation, and globally.
The Gerontology Program is a free-standing interdisciplinary and professional graduate degree. This applied gerontology degree program is designed for students preparing for a career in the field of aging or in a related human service field. Coursework is designed to:
- emphasize the broad, interdisciplinary nature of issues which relate to and influence older adults;
- provide students with the academic expertise, professional experience, and research capabilities necessary to pursue advanced study at the doctoral level;
- prepare students for professional practice and leadership positions in the public and private sectors where gerontological knowledge is required;
- empower students with a vision of social justice, diversity, consumer-driven services and global issues to promote intergenerational understanding; and
- invest in students a working knowledge of theoretical foundations and prepare students with tools to use quantitative and qualitative methods in applied research for solving a variety of practical problems in the community and link the micro and macro aspects of aging.
The field of aging is one of the most exciting and dynamic fields of study. We hope you will find our program to be an exciting next step in launching your career or furthering your gerontological research interests that result in your becoming a leader and state-of-the-art service provider/administrator working to improve the lives of elders throughout society.
Darlene Yee-Melichar, Ed.D.
Professor and Coordinator